G. M. Photog., Hon. FAIPP, Hon FNZIPP
Art of Vision
”Vision is the art of ‘seeing’ what is invisible to others!”
Tony is a ‘Grand Master of Photography’ of the prestigious Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP). He is an Honorary Fellow of the AIPP and a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography.
Tony’s career highlights feature over 200 state, national and international photography awards. In September 2013 Tony was awarded the prestigious title of Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photographer of the Year, and in the same year received the New Zealand Overseas Photographer of the Year, the Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year and the Western Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year. Tony was also invited to be a Core Artist at the 2013 Ballaratt International Foto Biennali. He was Western Australian Professional Photographer of the Year 2004 and also in 1994.
Tony Hewitt’s photographic journey has seen him explore the genres of Portrait, Landscape, Wedding and Fine Art Photography. He has exhibited both within Australia and Overseas, and has been invited to judge both nationally and internationally since 1995.
With a passion for people, places and pictures, and an instinctive sense of the moment, Tony brings a unique combination of creative skills, award winning photographic vision and simple creativity. ‘Something from nothing’ is a common theme behind images such as those in his Concrete Series, and his Portrait images often look to present the person, within the context of their environment, in simple but revealing ways. In some more recent explorations Tony has enjoyed capturing ‘Abstract Landscapes’, & ‘Altered Landscapes’, which seek to illustrate the hand of man and its’ impact on his surroundings. In 2010 he exhibited jointly in the exhibition “52 Weeks On – the Pilbara Project”, and featured in the publication of the same name. More recently he was an integral part of the South West Light Project and Exhibitions, these projects were outcomes of the travels of the ND5 collaboration. He is currently working with the same colleagues on several new projects for exhibition in 2013/14, including Shark Bay and Lord Howe Island.
As a professional speaker and presenter Tony has many years of experience. His innate philosophies on photography and vision, together with a broad skill set in the areas of personal and interpersonal communication make him an ideal presenter for almost any conference, photographic or other. He presents on subjects as diverse as repoire and personal awareness, often utilising his amazing images to illustrate various aspects of his message. A qualified Master Practitioner of NLP, (Neuro Linguistic Programming), he has also co-authored a series of 9 books, which stimulate and service the growing demand for information in the area of lifestyle and well-being.
Some of his more recent presentations include:
- Invited to speak at the Australian High Commission in Wellington NZ 2013
- Speaker at APSCON conference Bunbury 2013
- Speaker at IDEA conference Melbourne 2013
- Opening Keynote Speaker at PMA conference Melbourne 2012
- Master of Ceremonies at the Annual Awards Dinner for the Australian Professional Photography Awards 2001 to 2013
- Master of ceremonies for ‘The Nikon AIPP Event’ , Australia 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013
- WPPI presenter/judge 2007 to 2011 in Las Vegas USA
- Keynote Speaker at Light Pro 2009 in Florida USA
- MC and Keynote Speaker Fujifilm Professional Conference, Australia 2009
- PMA Australian Awards 2008
- Keynote speaker at the DWF conference Florida, USA 2008
Tony has been recognised by the Australian Institute of Professional Photography as a Grand Master of Photography & an Honorary Fellow.
He is also a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Professional Photography and received the President’s Award in 2007 for services to New Zealand Photography.
Tony’s photographic career highlights feature many state, national and international photography awards, some recent being:
- 2013 Canon AIPP Australian Professional Photographer of the Year
- 2013 Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year
- 2013 New Zealand Overseas Photographer of the Year
- 2013 WA Landscape Photographer of the Year
- 2013 4 Silver Distinction Awards Australian Professional Photography Awards
- 2013 Finalist Fremantle International Portrait Prize
- 2013 2nd place Open Nature Epson International Pano Awards
- 2012 A Gold Award, one Silver Distinction and one Silver Award Australian Awards
- 2011 Ten WPPI, Las Vegas Accolades of Excellence, including 3rd place Landscape
- 2010 A Gold Distinction and two Silver Distinctions Australian Awards
- 2010 Eight WPPI, Las Vegas Accolades of Excellence, including 1st place Landscape, and 2nd place in Commercial/Industrial Categories
- 2010 WA Commercial Photographer of the Year
- 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005 Curators Award WA Awards
- 2009 received 6 accolades of excellence at WPPI and 3rd place in the Commercial/Illustrative/ Editorial Category
- 2009 A Gold Distinction and three Silver Distinctions Australian Awards
- 2008 received 6 accolades of excellence at WPPI and runner up in the Commercial/Landscape/ Nature Category
- 2008 4 Silver Awards at the Australian Awards
- 2008 3rd place Abstract/Illustrative Int. Aperture Awards
- 2008 WA Landscape Photographer of the Year
- 2004 WA Professional Photographer of the Year
- 2004 WA Wedding Photographer of the Year
- 2004 WA Landscape Photographer of the Year
Numerous awards and accolades 1990 – 2003
Tony’s images cover several genres including landscape, fine-art, wedding and portrait, and it is his ability to capture exquisite and unique images of people and the landscape that has seen him become one of Australia’s leading photographic artists.