Darkroom series – Part 2
Limited number of 6 participants (min 4) – Demonstration + Practical
In this session you will encounter and experience the Dark Art of PRINTING B&W NEGATIVES. The topics will cover all of the key information required to setup and work in a darkroom making your own prints. You will have a contact print made of the negatives you processed in series 1.
This session is a ‘show and tell’ of the following topics. Handouts and URL links to useful sites are included in the session notes provided.
Who would benefit from this session:
- People with no previous practical printing experience including those who might have seen darkroom work done but not engaged with it at any significant level
- Those who may have done darkroom work some time ago and are seeking a refresh program to update them on the contemporary process.
TOPICS: Printing and darkroom
- Darkroom design for workflow – Wet/Dry
- Chemicals and handling / Safety
- Enlargers – What is a good one…?
- Preparing the darkroom for print-making
- Making contact and test prints
- Making the print
- Density and contrast / using filters
- Dodge and burn – localised density and contrast control
- How to minimise spots, marks and scratches
- Process / wash / dry
- Using plastic (RC) paper
- Setting up an impromptu darkroom in a bathroom or laundry
We recommend following with Darkroom Series Part 3: DIY PRINTING.
DATE: Wednesday, November 9, 2016, 6pm – 8.30pm (AEST)
COST: $65 per person (includes 1 contact sheet size 10×8 + chemicals)